Sunday, August 19, 2007

A Scary Moment

I really do not know how much I can take...I thought for a moment there I was about to lose by dog. Rikee, my diabetic dog, had her first episode. I was on the computer doing a couple of things when I heard some jingling. I got up to see what it was and saw my little girl on the kitchen floor shaking violently. She was on her belly with all 4 legs stretched out and shaking. I was trying not to panic but I didn't like what I was seeing. It was like Rikee was having some sort of seizure. NOT a pretty sight at all. I flew into action and went for the Karo Syrup and gave her some. Nothing happened right away and I went for the sugar. Started rubbing the sugar on her gums. I did this for about 10 minutes and she finally started to come out of it. Can't tell you what state of mind I was in. Here at home, alone, and your dogs goes into shock. all I could picture at the time was my baby girl going limp and stop breathing.

Today was a day that I did Rikee's Glucose Curve. Having to do the test every 2 hours I noticed her numbers were heading way too low. Too low for comfort. Thank goodness I purchased the AlphaTrak Glucometer. I am putting the meter and monitoring readings at home. Usually you have to bring in your pet for the day to have the curve done. So far I like doing this. I made all the calls I needed to get an answer to my question about the number she was at by 8 PM feeding. If it was low I didn't want to give her the full 9 units for she would have had another episode like she did last night.

I pray I don't have to go through that again!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My husband and I live in Fifty Lakes, MN. We own 2 horses, 4 dogs and 2 cats. We LOVE the Up North, Country Farm Life. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
SmileyCentral.com

Feb. 14th 2007

Feb. 14th 2007
Happy Valentine's Day!

February Quote

To often we under estimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around

Getting Bigger

Getting Bigger

Number of Vistors to Our Site


I LOVE MY MINPINS

Quote for Today

To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with Spring.

Brrrrr....is Right! Jan. 12th 2007

Brrrrr....is Right! Jan. 12th  2007
I hate this cold and I am SO ready for the warm weather.

New Year"s Resolution

My New Year's Resolution is NOT to make one.

MN Appleton"s Lord Rylee

MN Appleton"s Lord Rylee
Our new baby to the household.....Miniature Pinscher, named Rylee

Quote of the Day...Nov 25th "06

Look back on our struggle for freedom, trace our present day's strength to it's source; And you'll find that man's pathway to glory is strewn with the bones of a horse.

You might be a redneck if......

You consider fast food hitting a deer at 65 MPH

THE NEW MOUSER

THE NEW MOUSER
Tater

Reeba and Rikee

Reeba and Rikee
Where is that Squirrel??

Quote of the Day

Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.

Labels